The dustproof waterproof Sony Xperia Z3 is a cool device to have with. Although stock ROM is good enough for many but if you are someone who like to flash custom ROM to avoid various bloatware that comes with stock firmware then you first need to have a custom recovery. Today I’m going to share TWRP 188.8.131.52 for Xperia Z3. Though the latest TWRP version is TWRP 184.108.40.206 but right now we have TWRP 220.127.116.11 for Xperia Z3 and all thanks to monx® (donate) who took his time to develop and share this custom recovery with us.
There are few catch comes with this version of TWRP recovery for now. It only works with Xperia Z3 D6653, D6603 and D6633 variant when device bootloader is unlocked.
CHANGELOG for 18.104.22.168:
- MTP fixes and improvements – you can now copy zips to the root of storage
- TrueType Font support – optional as it takes up a decent amount of space so may not be available on all devices
- Temperature support
- Various other bugfixes and tweaks
In this tutorial, you also learn how to root Xperia Z3 [D6653/D6603/D6633].
This tutorial is only for Xperia Z3 [D6653/D6603/D6633]. Don’t try this guide on any other Android device. Also, we (True Android Team) are not responsible for any damage caused due to the instruction given in this page. Try this at your own risk. However, it is very unlikely that your device will be damaged if you follow all the instructions as it is which are mentioned in procedure.
Though installing TWRP recovery don’t erase internal memory data but we recommend to back up your data first before proceeding to avoid any uncomfortable situation.
1. Backup your device data. You can follow our ultimate backup guide.
2. Make sure your device have at least 60% battery power. You can install an app like Battery Percentage on your Android device to check it easily.
3. You already have USB Driver Installed for Xperia Z3 in your PC. [Download USB Drivers]
4. Make sure USB Debugging is enabled otherwise you won’t able to transfer file between PC and Sony Xperia Z3. [Guide].
5. You already setup fastboot in your computer. [Fastboot Setup Guide]
Once you done everything, you need to follow below method.
Step 1: Copy latest SuperSU [UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.40.zip] package to internal storage.
Step 2: Boot into fastboot mode. To do so, Power off > hold vol up button + connect USB cable = blue LED indicator on
Step 3: Execute fastboot command prompt : fastboot flash boot <kernel_name.img>
— e:g fastboot flash boot bootZ3monxtest01.img
Step 4: Reboot & try entering recovery by pressing vol up / vol down repetitively until booting into recovery
Step 5: Flash latest SuperSU zip package. To do so, tap on Install, then browse to the location where you saved the files and tap on the SuperSU Zip file. Now at the bottom of the screen, do a swipe on the Swipe to confirm flash option to begin flashing.
Here is a list of files, one of which you require to flash via fastboot. It’s arranged as per firmware version and device variant:
KERNEL IMAGE D6653 / D6603 23.0.1.A.5.77
D6603_23.0.1.A.5.77.img – 12.76 MB
KERNEL IMAGE D6653 / D6603 23.0.A.2.105
D6603_23.0.A.2.105.img – 12.75 MB
KERNEL IMAGE D6653 / D6603 23.0.A.2.93
bootZ3monxtest01.img – 12.75 MB
KERNEL IMAGE D6633 23.0.F.1.74
bootZ3dualmonxtest01.img – 12.75 MB
Enjoy your root Xperia Z3 with custom recovery TWRP 22.214.171.124 installed. [source]