Xiaomi Redmi S2 users will be happy to know that, OrangeFox Recovery is now available for their device. The best thing about this recovery is, it support MIUI OTA update. In this guide we will talk about unlocking Xiaomi Redmi S2 and installing latest OrangeFox Recovery (R10.0) on it. Unlocking your smartphone/tablet is the first step to extract the complete juice of your device hardware. Once Xiaomi Redmi S2 is unlocked, you can then easily install custom recovery such as OrangeFox Recovery, can root it using Magisk or SuperSu. After root access, you can perform various system related task which otherwise isn’t possible. Please note, the attached OrangeFox Recovery isn’t an official build. This unofficial build is developed by rafards@XDA (Donate).
How To Unlock and Install OrangeFox Recovery On Xiaomi Redmi S2
WARNING: Unlocking the bootloader will erase all data on your device! Before proceeding, ensure the data you would like to retain is backed up to your PC and/or your Google account, or equivalent. We (TrueAndroid Team) are not responsible if anything happen to your device while following this tutorial.
Key Features of OrangeFox Recovery
- Supports Treble and non-Treble ROMs
- Up-to-date Oreo kernel, built from sources
- Increased compatibility with TWRP
- Updated with latest TWRP commits
- Built-in support for installing init.d functionality
- White Flashlight
- Password, torch, led
- Support for Miui and Custom ROMs
- MIUI OTA support
- Better language support
- Optimized versions of community scripts
- Alternative lockscreen
- Fox theme engine:
– choice of theme (black, dark, etc)
– choice of color scheme
– choice of splash screen
- And many more!
- Make sure your computer has working adb and fastboot. Setup instructions can be found here.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device. [Tutorial]
- Proper USB driver is installed. [Download]
How To Unlock Xiaomi Redmi S2
- First visit Xiaomi’s official unlocking website and apply for unlocking permissions. It might take some days.
- Meanwhile, link your device to your Mi account in Settings > Additional settings > Developer options > Mi Unlock status. This step is mandatory and will trigger a countdown of 360 hours, the waiting period before a device can be unlocked..
- Once you get the approval, you will get Mi Unlock app download link (Windows Only). Install the utility in your PC.
- Once the 360 hours waiting period is over, run the Mi Unlock app and follow the instructions provided by the app to unlock your Xiaomi Redmi S2.
- Since the device resets completely, you will need to re-enable USB debugging for the next recovery installation process.
Once unlocking process is completed, you can then follow below steps to install OrangeFox Recovery.
How To Install OrangeFox Recovery R10.0 on Xiaomi Redmi S2
- Download OrangeFox Recovery R10.0 zip and then extract it. You will get recovery.img file along with other folder. Copy recovery.img in the same folder where you have fastboot.exe.
- Once done, connect your device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Now on your computer open a command prompt (on Windows) or terminal (on Linux or macOS) window, and type: adb reboot bootloader . You can also boot your Xiaomi Redmi S2 to fastboot mode by pressing Volume Down + Power when the device power is off, until FASTBOOT appears.
- To confirm the device is connected in fastboot mode or not, type: fastboot devices.
- Once confirmed, type the following command to flash OrangeFox Recovery: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.
- The device should automatically reboot, if not then reboot it manually.
Tip: To boot into recovery first turn off your Xiaomi Redmi S2 and then press and hold Volume Up and Power button together until the “MI” logo appears on the screen, then release.
Note: If you already have a custom recovery installed on your Xiaomi Redmi S2 then just flash downloaded zip file to install OrangeFox Recovery on your device.
That’s it! You now have an unlocked Xiaomi Redmi S2 with latest supported OrangeFox Recovery installed. [source]